Saturday, May 2, 2009

Paul Baribeau (2004)


Paul Baribeau is not just my favorite artist of the folk-punk genre, but one of my favorite songwriters in general. After first hearing his self titled release, it quickly became one of my all time favorite albums. The 14 track cd was originally sent to Plan-it-X records as a demo. It was liked so much, that it got released as is. Paul has recorded 3 albums of original material, along with a cover album with Ginger Alford of Bruce Springsteen covers. Paul has also collaborated with artists like Kimya Dawson, Ghost Mice and Matty Pop Chart.



Usually I get pretty bored with folk-punk albums after listening to them for awhile, but I have never gotten sick of Paul's music. His lyrics are really what makes the album what it is, since the music is quite simple. I think after you listen to songs like "Never Get to Know" and "Strawberry" you'll get what I mean.






But I digress... please buy this man's records. All of them are very good, and whether you like folk-punk or not. He writes really wonderful, honest songs that I would recommend to basically anyone.

Track Listing
1. Tablecloth 1:17
2. I Thought I Could Find You 1:32
3. Only Babies Cry 2:41
4. Strawberry 2:22
5. Boys Like Me 2:23
6. I Miss That Band 1:24
7. Brown Brown Brown 1:39
8. Never Get To Know 2:43
9. Jordan 0:30
10. When You Go Back to College 1:56
11. Blue Eyes 2:42
12. The Pier 0:56
13. Help a Kid Out 1:39
14. Things I Don't Do 1:04

try it?
buy it!
myspace

PS: for more good music, check out my friend Max's blog. Good stuff! Shock Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment